If you find a mold problem in your home, you need to fix it fast! Mold can cause damage to whatever it grows on. In fact, the EPA even says: “The longer that mold grows, the more damage it can cause.”https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-10/documents/moldguide12.pdf
Here are some questions and answers that you may have regarding mold in your home.
It may be tough to know when to call a professional removal company and when to try removing it by yourself. Here are a few tips to help you decide:
The EPA advises: “Do not run the HVAC system if you know or suspect that it is contaminated with mold, as it could spread contamination throughout the building. If the water or mold damage was caused by…contaminated water, consult a professional who has experience cleaning and repairing buildings damaged by contaminated water.” https://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib101003.html
Don’t waste precious time with a possible mold problem! When in doubt, call a professional mold abatement company, like ONEighty solutions.
Spores will hide in porous and absorbent materials. An example of porous materials are ceiling tiles, carpeting, and sub-flooring. These materials create great hiding places for mold and moisture. For this reason, they may need to be disposed of properly instead of just cleaned. Call a professional for a second opinion, if you are trying to save items in your home, or if you are trying to avoid replacing walls or ceilings.
Beware of Breathing Mold, When Cleaning:
It is important to limit your exposure to spores when cleaning. If you are trying to clean up a mold problem yourself, be sure to wear protective gloves, a face mask and protective eye gear. If mold spores become air-borne and are breathed into your lungs, you could become sick with a number of breathing problems or sinus issues.
The EPA suggest a breathing respirator when handling mold-infected items, or if you are in mold infested areas. See here: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-10/documents/moldguide12.pdf
The EPA upholds these standards when cleaning mold: “For respiratory protection, (the N-95 respirator) is recommended. Respirators must be used in accordance with the OSHA respiratory protection standard (29 CFR 1910.134). Gloves and eye protection should be worn”.
Mold can be harmful to your health! If you aren’t sure if your mold issue can be handled alone, call the pros at ONEighty Solutions: 678-274-6511 http://www.oneightysolutions.com/